Learn everything there is to know about Hurricanes
1. Sea Surface Temperature needs to be above 80F (27C).
2. Coriolis (force) effect. The Coriolis effect is what creates the circular motion of the hurricane eye. For example the absence of this condition prevents hurricanes from forming within 10 degrees North or South of the equator.
3. An unstable atmosphere must be present where warm air and cold air interact. Unstable air has the tendency to rise. http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wstabil.htm
4. Relative humidity must be at high levels.
5. A trigger. In the Atlantic basin 60% of Atlantic tropical storms and hurricanes are triggered by African Easterly waves. http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/A4.html
6. Little wind sheer. High wind sheers discourage hurricane formation by blowing the tops off them.